Saturday, May 11, 2013

Happy Mother's Day.....


Good morning everyone!  Tomorrow is Mother's Day and to all you mothers out there....Have a wonderful day!  This is my mom.  She had a huge  hand in making me who I am today!  She kept me in church and on the straight and narrow and gave me my morals and values I live by today!

She was born in 1932; the youngest of 5 sisters.  Her dad passed from TB when she was very young and my grandmother had 5 children to raise on her own.  She did have the army pension since her husband was a disabled vet.   So they all scrimped and saved and did hand me downs to make ends meet. 

My mom married and had me at 17.  I've always said, we grew up together. I am the oldest of 4 children.....3 girls and a boy.   She made playhouses and taught me how to make mud pies with daisy flowers on top; when I was a teenager she danced with me when I played records.  We were there for each other always!  She was quite a seamstress and made all  our clothes, and taught me how to sew as well.  Actually she was not afraid to try anything.  I've know her to build shelves and work on plumbing; she had a garden and canned food for the winter.  If something needed to be done she just did it. 

Having three girls, she gave us many a Toni perm.  Do you remember those?  Man how we dreaded those...we'd be just as happy with straight, straggly hair...but not her.  So she would roll our hair and do the perms and then do the bobby pin curls.  Tie it all up in a scarf and sleep on it.  Sunday morning down would come those curls and oh my goodness; frizz city!  But she thought it was so pretty and would tell us how nice we looked.  I have many a photo of my brand new perm going to church or going to school for photo day!  I promised myself if I ever had a daughter I would never do that to her.  LOL...

Growing up we lived across the street from the First Baptist church and attended same.  On Mother's Day we all got a corsage to wear to church.    Rose bushes were all in bloom in early May so everyone wore a corsage of roses to church.  You wore red roses if your mother was still alive and white ones if your mother had passed.  My grandmother also had this very lacy fern that she would use behind the roses and tie it all with a pretty ribbon.  When we walked into church it always smelled so nice with all the corsages on the ladies.  Such wonderful memories!

So for all you mothers out there.....have a very happy Mother's Day and make a memory for your kids!

11 comments:

Apassionforpaper said...

Glenda, what a heart warming post . . . like you I was one of the lucky ones who got to know and love a wonderful Mother. Some I know are not so lucky but how fortunate it is that we have been taught how to be good mothers in our turn.
I have three grown up daughters and I'm so proud of them, each one very different in nature but good, caring and decent people making their way.
Happy Mother's Day everyone.
Thank you for sharing
Hugs, Julie Ann x

Cheryl said...

What a beautiful post! Your mothers sounds amazing. You are so blessed to have had such a wonderful upbringing. Thank you for sharing it. Happy Mother's Day!

Sylvia said...

Beautiful post, Glenda, what wonderful memories!I hope you have a beautiful Sunday!

Rita said...

Beautiful post Glenda. Like you I was brought to appreciate the church and all my social occasions were part of it too for many years. Thanks to my upbringing I have always had a high standard of morals, hopefully I have passed them on to my children too. Hugs Rita xx

Starla said...

What fabulous memories!!

Nan G said...

Thank you for sharing such wonderful memories.

Mary Ann said...

Thanks for sharing such great memories!

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Loved reading this wonderful post with memories of your mom. She was a real beauty, wasn't she? We share a lot of common experiences, Glenda...I had forgotten about the rose corsages, but remembered that scent as soon as I read it in your loving tribute to your mom. Thanks for the memories, and I hope you are having a wonderful day! xoxo

Lenoria said...

Glenda, your Mother is a beautiful person inside and out! My Mother taught me a lot of these principles also and I would not trade the memories I have for all the money and gold on earth!! Thank you for sharing your memories with us and for bringing a smile for my upbringing.

Wendy said...

What a lovely tribute to your mom. She did a fantastic job!
I gave myself a Toni perm once when I was a teenager--yeesh!
Have a great week!

Leslie Miller said...

This was the sweetest story. I can relate to the era and the type of woman your Mom was. I remember those perms, too. You painted a beautiful picture of going to church on Mother's Day with your lovely rose corsages. I felt transported to that time and it was wonderful. Thank you for the trip and the memories, Glenda.